Thursday, January 14, 2010

Well, since I have no followers and expect none, I suppose that this will be like talking to myself. But that's ok. I've been trapped in my own head for so long that it has become quite comfortable and, in fact, the norm. This can't be any worse than Facebook where all I get anymore (with a few exceptions) are inane postings about finding lost animals or gaining levels in "Mafia Wars." I find it all very tiring.
I guess the first thing i will discuss is the recent earthquake in Haiti and the resulting outpouring of charity from the world community. Please do not misunderstand the following; I am not a heartless bastard without pity for my fellow man. While I am admittedly not an expert on Haitian culture, I do not understand why some nations seemingly cannot advance themselves.
Millions of US dollars are sent to African countries every year for famine relief, AIDS, etc. This is all fine and well, but God (who/whatever that is) helps those who help themselves. This is to say that I do not see much effort on the part of these countries to better themselves. I'm sure that conditions are not ideal in Haiti and they are probably sorely lacking in resources, but their "roommate," if you will, The Dominican Republic, is a tourist mecca and an advancing nation. They share the same island. What is happening that these two nations, neighbors, are so different.
Also, I saw on the news today that some Haitians are blocking the roads into Port au Prince with corpses to protest the delay in humanitarian aid. I understand their plight but take great offense at the obvious ingratitude that this evinces. If it were up to me, those who took part in blockading these roads would receive NO aid, and if it were a widespread occurence, I would call my ships and planes back to the States and let the Haitians figure this out on their own. What has happened in Haiti is truly a humanitarian disaster, but I owe them nothing. WHat this country chooses to do for other nations is purely charity and should be received with much gratitude.
If anyone ever happens to read this I'm sure that they will consider me a racist, nationalist, etc., and that's ok. Frankly, I've gotten too old to care what most people think of me. Don't label me a heartless bastard. I am all for helping these people in their time of need. Many times in my own life I have needed, and received, help from those around me. I have never expected this help or believed that anyone owed it to me, and I most certainly have never gotten upset when the the charity of others did not come on my schedule.

2 comments:

  1. Dude... hit enter every once in a while, it makes it easier to read. The biggest problem in Haiti is it's corrupt and violent government. It will never truly get better until the government begins to look out for it's people. That doesn't mean becoming a welfare state... but basic infrastructure and services are needed to start bringing that country out of it's hole.

    As for the Dominican Republic: have you been there? I have, and it's far from a tourist mecca. There are wonderful resorts on the coast and breathtaking poverty everywhere else. There is also serious governmental corruption, but not to the same degree as in Haiti. The difference is that the DR government realizes that violence is bad for tourism and foreign investment, and those are what brings money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed all of this in paragraph format but it didn't come out that way. I'm new to this site so hopefully I will figure it out in the future.

    ReplyDelete